Postpartum Depression and its symptoms are coming to light more and more as the conversation with depression widens. The most important thing to remember is that postpartum depression is not a sign of weakness or something that will just go away. Knowing what symptoms to look for can also help you recognize when you need to reach out for professional help from a licensed counselor. Here are a few indicators that you or someone you love might be suffering from postpartum depression.
1. You feel hopeless, like the situation will never get better. You feel like a failure as a mother.
2. You have trouble accepting that this life is your new reality. You dream of your old life and your “old self”.
3. You have thoughts of leaving your family behind.
4. You feel disconnected. From your family and from your baby. This can feel like there is an invisible wall between you and the rest of the world.
5. You feel guilty. You feel like you should be handling motherhood better and are afraid if you reach out for help you will be judged.
We have a long way to go with postpartum depression and making it a conversation that new mothers feel comfortable having. That is why reaching out to a depression counselor can help. Insight Child & Family Counseling offers a safe and judgement free space for you to discuss your feelings and concerns. If you need someone to talk to, give us a call today at 972-426-9500. If you don’t feel ready to reach out for help, visit our website for some free resources and tools. www.ldscounselordfw.com. When you are ready to talk, we are here.